Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Country Cafe

Over the years I have put many hours on the river. Whether it was guiding clients or fishing it myself, I have always enjoyed the time. Good trout rivers often have a diner where good food and atmosphere can be found. I had that special place.

The Country Café off of rout 135 in McCool, Maryland was that special place. I don’t think you could get 2 eggs, home fries, bacon and home made toast for $2.99 anywhere else but there. Yes, $2.99. That was the “Breakfast Special” and I had many of them. The home made bread was better than my Mom’s. Yes I said it because it’s true. Don’t hate me Mom. The home fries were real and cooked in bacon grease. I could go on and on about the food and the simplicity of the “Country Café” but if you are a client who ate there or an angler who stopped in at some point you know what I am talking about.
I don’t know why the “Country Café” closed, but I miss it. Denny’s just isn’t the same and there is a sense of emptiness to my morning routine now. Maybe someone will purchase the place and it will open up again someday.

No comments: